Thursday, 17 September 2026

Media, Power, and the Truly Educated Person: A Cultural Studies Reflection

Media, Power, and the Truly Educated Person: A Cultural Studies Reflection

This blog is written as part of an academic task assigned by the Head of the Department of English, MKBU, Prof. and Dr. Dilip Barad Sir. It critically explores the relationship between media, power, culture, identity, and education from the perspective of Cultural Studies. The blog examines how media shapes perceptions and cultural identities, reinforces or challenges dominant power structures, and creates space for alternative voices. It also reflects on the idea of a “truly educated person,” emphasizing critical thinking, media literacy, cultural awareness, and the ability to question and evaluate information responsibly in today’s media-saturated society. Here is the link to the professor's blog for background reading:  Click here

Here is the Mindmap of this blog: Click here

Cultural Studies: Media, Power and the Truly Educated Person

After reading the blog, I understood Cultural Studies as a field that encourages us to look critically at the relationship between culture, media, power, identity, and education. One of the interesting features of Cultural Studies is that it does not restrict itself to traditionally accepted forms of high culture. It can examine everyday life, popular culture, media, social practices, technology, and the cultural meanings attached to them. The reading also explains that Cultural Studies is difficult to define in a fixed way because the concept of culture itself has different meanings. It can move from Matthew Arnold's idea of culture as the pursuit of what is best thought and said to Raymond Williams's broader understanding of culture as ordinary, everyday life.

This broader understanding of culture made me think about the media that I encounter every day. Earlier, I mainly considered newspapers, television, films, social media, YouTube, advertisements, and digital platforms as sources of information or entertainment. After reading the blog, I began to understand them as cultural texts that can be studied critically. They can influence how people understand identity, society, politics, gender, class, success, beauty, and even their own place in the world.

The most important idea I understood from the reading is that Cultural Studies cannot be separated from the study of power. Media becomes especially important because it can influence perceptions and shape what people consider to be reality. The reading therefore encourages us not simply to consume media but to ask how power operates through it. It also connects critical education with the ability to question established knowledge and develop intellectual independence.

1. Media and Power

Understanding the Relationship between Media and Power

After reading the blog, I understood that media and power are closely connected in contemporary society. The reading argues that the study of Cultural Studies is incomplete without understanding power and that, in our time, media can be used as a means through which power influences perceptions. It specifically identifies different forms of media, including print, radio, television, electronic, digital, and social media.

This idea changed the way I understand media. Previously, I generally thought of media as a channel through which information travels from one place to another. Now I realise that media does not simply transmit information. It also participates in deciding what information becomes visible, how it is presented, what language is used, which voices are heard, and which perspectives may receive less attention.

For example, when two media platforms report the same event, they may use different headlines, photographs, quotations, and descriptions. The event may be identical, but the representation may create different impressions in the minds of audiences. This demonstrates that media representation is never completely separate from questions of selection and interpretation.

The reading therefore encouraged me to look beneath the surface of media messages. Instead of asking only “What is this news report saying?”, I can ask: “Why has this particular information been selected? How has it been framed? Whose perspective is being presented? What has been left out?”

These questions help reveal the relationship between media, representation, and power.

Chomsky and the Five Filters

One of the most significant examples in the reading is the discussion of Noam Chomsky and Edward S. Herman's “Five Filters” of mass media. The five filters mentioned are:

  • Media Ownership
  • Advertising
  • Media Elite
  • Flak
  • The Common Enemy

The reading presents these filters as a way of understanding how power can make use of mass media and how corporate media can contribute to what Chomsky and Herman call the “manufacture of consent.”

Noam Chomsky - Manufacturing Consent

What I find important here is that the argument encourages us to examine the structures behind media content. Instead of treating media messages as completely independent and neutral, we can think about ownership, advertising, elite sources, institutional pressure, and dominant narratives.

For example, advertising is an important part of contemporary media. Media platforms require financial support, and advertising can therefore influence the environment in which media content is produced. Similarly, media organisations often depend on particular sources for information. If a particular institution or group repeatedly becomes an authoritative source, its interpretation can become especially influential.

This does not mean that every media message should automatically be considered false. Rather, the Five Filters encourage us to become critical readers who understand that media production takes place within particular institutional and economic conditions.

Media Power in the Digital Age

The relationship between media and power has become even more complicated in the age of social media. Digital platforms have given ordinary individuals the opportunity to create and circulate content. A person can write a blog, make a video, post an opinion, share a personal experience, or participate in a public discussion without necessarily depending on traditional media institutions.

This has created new opportunities for participation and alternative voices. However, digital media also has its own structures of power. Algorithms, advertising systems, platform policies, user engagement, and commercial interests influence what becomes visible.

I have personally experienced this while using YouTube and Instagram. When I repeatedly search for or watch a particular type of content, I am usually shown more content related to the same topic. At first, I consider this useful because the platform is helping me find material according to my interests. However, after thinking about it critically, I realise that it can also create an informational bubble.

If I continuously receive similar opinions, I may begin to think that those opinions represent the entire reality. I may not even consciously realise that alternative perspectives are missing from my feed.

Therefore, I now understand that power in digital media can operate not only through direct control but also through algorithms, attention, repetition, selection, and visibility.

This reading has changed my own media habits. Earlier, if I saw the same information repeatedly on different platforms, I sometimes assumed that it must be important or reliable. Now I understand that repetition is not the same as truth.

I have started asking myself several questions whenever I encounter information online:

  • Who created this content?
  • What is the source?
  • What evidence is provided?
  • What is the purpose of the content?
  • Whose perspective is being represented?
  • What perspective is missing?
  • Is this information, interpretation, opinion, or persuasion?
  • Why has this particular message become so visible?

These questions have made me more conscious of my position as a media consumer. I now understand that media literacy requires more than knowing how to operate digital devices. It requires the ability to read the structures and meanings behind media messages.

2. Role of Education

The Idea of a “Truly Educated Person”

The second major idea that I found meaningful is the concept of the “truly educated person.” The reading suggests that Cultural Studies can make students truly educated because it encourages them to question one discipline through the findings of another, to unlearn certain assumptions, and, importantly, to understand controversies.

This challenges a traditional understanding of education based mainly on memorisation, examinations, marks, degrees, and qualifications.

These aspects of education are important, but they do not necessarily produce an independent thinker. A student may memorise a large amount of information and still lack the ability to question it. A truly educated person should instead have the intellectual confidence to ask questions and investigate answers.

The reading presents Chomsky's idea that the ability to “inquire and create constructively, independently, without external controls” is central to a fulfilled human being. It also connects true education with intellectual freedom and creative autonomy.

This idea strongly connects with my own experience as a postgraduate student.

Education Beyond Memorisation

At the postgraduate level, education should not simply mean learning what critics have already said. It should mean understanding critical ideas and then developing the ability to apply, question, compare, and reinterpret them.

For example, when I study a literary text, I should not only ask:

“What is the theme of this poem or novel?”

I should also ask:

  • “Whose perspective is dominant?”
  • “Whose voice is absent?”
  • “What cultural assumptions are present?”
  • “How does the historical context influence the text?”
  • “Does the text challenge or reproduce existing social structures?”

These questions transform learning from information collection into intellectual inquiry.

The reading's emphasis on questioning different disciplines is also important. Literature can be connected with sociology, psychology, politics, history, philosophy, technology, gender studies, and cultural studies. An interdisciplinary approach allows us to understand a literary or cultural text from multiple perspectives.

Qualities of a Truly Educated Person Today

In today's digital society, I believe that a truly educated person should possess several important qualities.

1. Critical Thinking: A truly educated person examines claims carefully rather than accepting them immediately, distinguishing between evidence, opinion, interpretation, and assumption.

2. Media Literacy: A truly educated person understands how language, images, advertising, and representation influence audiences and shape cultural understanding.

3. Digital Literacy: A truly educated person understands algorithms, AI, misinformation, digital platforms, and how information circulates online.

4. Independent Inquiry: A truly educated person has the confidence to ask questions and investigate independently rather than relying completely on predetermined answers.

5. Intellectual Openness: A truly educated person respects different perspectives and remains willing to reconsider their own assumptions when presented with new ideas or evidence.

6. Self-Reflection: A truly educated person examines not only the biases of others but also their own beliefs, assumptions, and ways of thinking.

7. Creativity: A truly educated person develops the ability to discover, create, interpret, and express ideas independently and originally.

8. Ethical Responsibility: A truly educated person uses knowledge responsibly and thinks carefully before sharing information that may be false, harmful, or misleading.

Thus, for me, a truly educated person is not someone who simply knows more, but someone who knows how to question, interpret, evaluate, and use knowledge responsibly.

3. Cultural Practices and Marginalized Groups

Media Representation and Cultural Identity

Media plays an important role in shaping cultural identities because people encounter many ideas about society through media representations. Films, advertisements, television programmes, news reports, web series, social media, and digital content present ideas about what is considered normal, beautiful, successful, modern, traditional, powerful, or marginal.

Representation is therefore an important concept in Cultural Studies. Media does not simply act as a mirror that reflects reality. When a filmmaker, journalist, advertiser, or content creator chooses a particular image, character, narrative, or language, they construct a particular representation of reality.

For example, a television advertisement may represent the ideal family in a particular way. A film may present a particular image of masculinity or femininity. A social-media influencer may present a particular lifestyle as desirable or successful.

These representations can influence audiences because repeated images can gradually become familiar and may begin to appear natural or normal.

Marginalized Groups and Representation

This becomes particularly important when considering marginalised communities.

If a particular group is repeatedly represented through a limited stereotype, audiences may begin to associate that stereotype with the entire group. Such representations can reinforce existing social assumptions.

For example, if women are consistently represented mainly through beauty, domesticity, or emotional dependence, these representations may contribute to restrictive ideas about women's roles. Similarly, simplified representations of caste, class, regional, ethnic, religious, indigenous, or other communities can reproduce stereotypes.

Therefore, critical media analysis requires us to ask:

  • Who is represented?
  • How are they represented?
  • Who has the authority to represent them?
  • Whose voice is missing?
  • What stereotypes are being repeated?
  • Whose experiences are treated as normal?

These questions reveal how representation can become connected with power and identity.

Media as a Tool of Resistance

Although media can reinforce dominant ideas, it can also become a tool of resistance.

Digital media has made it possible for individuals and communities to tell their own stories. Blogs, independent journalism, documentaries, podcasts, social-media campaigns, and digital storytelling can provide alternative perspectives.

For example, a marginalised community can use social media to preserve its language and cultural traditions. Individuals can share personal experiences that challenge stereotypes. Independent creators can produce narratives that question dominant representations.

In this sense, media can provide an opportunity for people to move from being merely objects of representation to subjects of representation.

However, I also think that digital resistance has limitations. Having the freedom to produce content does not necessarily guarantee equal visibility. Algorithms, commercial interests, platform policies, and audience engagement influence what becomes widely visible.

Therefore, media should be understood as a contested cultural space in which power and resistance can operate simultaneously.

4. Critical Media Consumption

Reflection on My Media Consumption Habits

This question is particularly meaningful to me because media is a regular part of my academic and personal life. I use YouTube, Google, Instagram, online articles, blogs, and digital learning resources for education, research, communication, entertainment, and general information.

As a postgraduate student of English Literature, I frequently use digital platforms to understand literary texts, theories, criticism, lectures, and different interpretations. These platforms have made academic resources much more accessible.

However, after reading the blog, I realised that accessibility does not automatically mean reliability. An online explanation may be easy to understand but may not necessarily be academically accurate. Similarly, a video with a large number of views is not automatically more reliable than a less popular academic source.

This has encouraged me to become more selective and critical about the sources I use.

From Passive Consumer to Critical Reader

Earlier, I sometimes accepted information because it appeared repeatedly or because it was presented confidently. Now I try to create a distance between seeing information and believing information.

When I encounter a media message, I ask:

  • Who created this content?
  • What is the purpose of this content?
  • Who is the intended audience?
  • What evidence is provided?
  • What perspective is being presented?
  • What assumptions are being made?
  • Whose voice is missing?
  • What information has been excluded?

These questions allow me to become a more active participant in the process of meaning-making.

Critical media consumption does not mean rejecting everything. It means learning to evaluate, compare, contextualise, and interpret.


Advertisements and Everyday Choices

Advertisements are a useful example of how media influences daily choices. An advertisement does not simply sell a product. It can also sell a lifestyle, aspiration, identity, or idea of happiness.

For example, beauty advertisements may associate physical appearance with confidence and success. Luxury advertisements may associate consumption with social status. Family advertisements may communicate particular ideas about gender roles and relationships.

Therefore, I have started looking at advertisements not simply as commercial messages but as cultural texts.

Similarly, films and web series can influence ideas about relationships, gender, class, family, success, and social identity. This does not mean that audiences accept all these representations uncritically, but it demonstrates why media literacy is necessary.

My Understanding of Cultural Awareness

Another important insight I gained from this reading is that cultural awareness begins with self-awareness.

We often analyse other cultures, communities, and social groups without questioning our own assumptions. However, Cultural Studies encourages us to examine the cultural environment from which our own ideas emerge.

Media constantly presents images of what is considered successful, beautiful, respectable, modern, traditional, desirable, or acceptable. If we consume these representations without questioning them, we may unconsciously treat culturally constructed ideas as natural truths.

Therefore, cultural awareness requires us to recognise that our own worldview is shaped by family, education, language, society, media, history, and personal experience.

This does not mean that every cultural belief should be rejected. Rather, it means that we should understand how and why particular beliefs become meaningful within a society.

Critical Understanding of Media, Power and Education

After reflecting on all four questions, I understand the relationship between media, power, culture, and education as a continuous interaction. Media produces and circulates meanings, power influences the structures through which these meanings circulate, and culture gives those meanings social significance. Education, in turn, provides us with the critical tools to examine and question them. This is why Cultural Studies is relevant to contemporary education, as it teaches us to critically examine ordinary cultural objects rather than treating them as insignificant. A film is not only entertainment; it can represent gender, class, identity, and social relationships. An advertisement is not only a commercial message; it can communicate ideas about beauty, success, family, and lifestyle. Similarly, a social-media post can reproduce or challenge cultural assumptions, while a news report can involve choices of language, framing, sources, and perspective. Therefore, contemporary society itself can be understood as a collection of cultural texts that require critical reading and interpretation.

Understanding of a Truly Educated Person

Noam Chomsky - On Being Truly Educated

After reflecting on the discussion, I would describe a truly educated person as someone who possesses knowledge with awareness, intelligence with humility, and freedom with responsibility.

A truly educated person does not blindly accept information, but they also do not reject everything without evidence. They investigate, compare, question, interpret, and reflect.

Such a person should be able to understand perspectives different from their own. They should recognise that their personal experience is not necessarily the only way of understanding reality.

A truly educated person should also have the courage to question standard doctrines when appropriate, formulate meaningful questions, and find their own intellectual path. These qualities are closely connected with the emphasis on inquiry, creative autonomy, and intellectual freedom in the reading.

In today's digital world, this definition of education is especially important because information is available everywhere. The challenge is no longer simply finding information. The greater challenge is knowing how to evaluate, interpret, contextualise, and use information responsibly.

After reading and critically reflecting on the blog, I understood that media, power, culture, identity, and education are deeply interconnected. Media is not simply a neutral channel for transmitting information. It participates in constructing cultural meanings and representations, while various structures of power can influence the production and circulation of those meanings.

The discussion of the Five Filters provides a useful framework for understanding how institutional and economic factors can shape mass media. At the same time, the development of digital media has created new possibilities for participation, alternative voices, and resistance.

The concept of the “truly educated person” is equally significant. Education should go beyond examinations, marks, qualifications, and memorisation. It should develop critical thinking, independent inquiry, creativity, intellectual freedom, media literacy, cultural awareness, and ethical responsibility. The reading particularly emphasises the ability to inquire, create independently, formulate serious questions, question standard doctrine when appropriate, and find one's own way.

Ultimately, the most important lesson I take from this reading is that education should teach us not only to receive knowledge but also to question how knowledge is produced and circulated. A truly educated person is not simply someone who possesses information. A truly educated person is someone who can question assumptions, examine evidence, recognise different perspectives, think independently, remain intellectually curious, and participate responsibly in society.

In the digital age, critical media literacy is not merely an academic skill; it is an essential part of intellectual freedom and cultural awareness.

My Overall Reflection

After reading the blog, I understood that media is not simply a source of information but also a space where power operates. Newspapers, television, films, advertisements, websites, and social media influence what we see, discuss, and consider important. Media does not present reality in a completely neutral way; the selection of information, language, images, and perspectives can shape our understanding of events. The discussion of Chomsky and Herman’s "Five Filters ownership, advertising, sourcing, flak, and the common enemy" also shows how institutional and economic structures can influence the production and circulation of information.

Media also plays an important role in shaping culture and identity. Advertisements, films, web series, and social media can influence ideas about beauty, success, gender, relationships, lifestyle, and social status. Representation becomes especially important for marginalised communities because repeated stereotypes can influence how such groups are understood. At the same time, digital media provides opportunities for alternative voices through blogs, videos, podcasts, and social media. Thus, media can function both as a means of reinforcing dominant ideas and as a space for resistance and alternative representation.

In the digital age, the relationship between media and power has become more complex because of algorithms and personalised recommendations. From my own experience, when I search for or watch content on a particular topic, platforms often recommend similar material. Although this is useful for learning, it can also limit exposure to different perspectives and create an intellectual comfort zone. Therefore, I have realised that I should not simply accept whatever appears on my screen. I need to ask who created the content, what its purpose is, what evidence supports it, whose perspective is represented, and what voices may be missing.

This makes critical media literacy an essential part of education. Being educated today is not only about knowing how to use technology or accessing a large amount of information. It is about knowing how to evaluate, interpret, question, and use information responsibly. As a postgraduate student, I often use YouTube, Google, blogs, and online academic resources for learning. However, I have realised that popular or easily available information is not automatically reliable. I need to compare sources, examine evidence, and distinguish between scholarly knowledge, opinion, misinformation, and entertainment. In this sense, critical media literacy becomes an extension of critical reading.

The idea of a “truly educated person” is therefore different from simply having good marks, degrees, or qualifications. A truly educated person should possess critical thinking, independent inquiry, creativity, intellectual freedom, media literacy, digital awareness, intellectual humility, and ethical responsibility. Such a person does not blindly accept or reject information but examines evidence and considers different perspectives. Education should teach us not only how to find answers but also how to ask meaningful questions.

My own understanding of media consumption has also changed. Earlier, I mainly viewed platforms such as YouTube, Instagram, and Google as sources of information and entertainment. Now I recognise that they can also influence my worldview and everyday choices. I therefore want to move from being a passive media consumer to a critical media participant. Before sharing information, I should check its source and accuracy; while watching films or advertisements, I should examine their representations of gender, class, culture, and identity. This kind of conscious engagement makes media consumption a form of learning.

For me, being a truly educated person in today’s media-saturated world means being curious, critical, culturally aware, digitally literate, and open to learning. It means understanding that information is not automatically knowledge. Most importantly, I now want to approach media in the same way I approach literature: not only asking what it says, but also how it creates meaning, whose perspective it represents, what assumptions it contains, and what forms of power operate behind it. This critical attitude can help me become a more responsible student and a more conscious participant in contemporary culture.


Here is the Video-overview of this blog: 


Here is the Presentation of this blog: 



References:
Barad, Dilip Sir. "Cultural Studies: Media, Power and Truly Educated Person." Dilip Barad | Teacher Blog, 22 Mar. 2017, https://blog.dilipbarad.com/2017/03/cultural-studies-media-power-and-truly.html. Accessed 16 Sept. 2026.
Thank you!

No comments:

J. M. Coetzee's Foe

From Colonial Mastery to Narrative Uncertainty: A Comparative and Critical Reading of Daniel Defoe’s Robinson Crusoe and J. ...